November 12, 2012

Halloween on a time crunch

Today I'm grateful for quick projects.

I'm a sentimental kind of girl. I love traditions and holidays. We moved into our first house just 4 days before Halloween, and even though I knew it was going to be busy and a mess (it's still a mess, let's be real), I was so excited for our first holiday in our first home. Of course we had to celebrate! Of course we had to have candy to pass out when we actually live in a neighborhood with trick or treaters! And decorations to make our cute new house look friendly!

I pulled in to the garage about 15 minutes before I expected trick or treaters would start appearing in the streets. Our house was only half-unpacked and I don't think I own a single Halloween decoration, but it was going to happen. I had and uncarved pumpkin, and two bags of candy in the trunk. I hope you'll never find yourself with THAT little time to "prepare" for a holiday, but here is a quick and easy way to make it look like you put forth SOME effort on Halloween...drill your pumpkin instead of carving!

Drilled pumpkins have been all over the internet this year, and I thought there could be no faster way to "carve" a pumpkin than pulling out our power tools! Seriously, scraping the gunk out was the most time-consuming part of the project.

Step one: Clean out that pumpkin



Step two: If you're a perfectionist, mark where you want to put your holes. I did this, but then I ended up winging it when the holes were a little bigger than I had planned for. Didn't take a picture of this, but I'm sure you get the idea.


Step three: Drill away. Outside. Away from anything that you don't want pumpkin debris flying on. I used a spade bit, but it might have been better to use a different tool, one that wouldn't spray pumpkin wildly in all directions. I don't know, I didn't follow any instructions, we were just winging it.




And...tadaa! a 5-minute pumpkin. I am sure that you can come up with a more interesting pattern than I did. Lots of possibilities!



Bonus: we didn't have any tea lights, so I stuck an old scented candle inside the pumpkin. Best smelling front step on the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment